Nancy Baum Delain, Esq.
Mail: 430 Franklin St., 2nd Flr., Schenectady, NY 12305
Nancy is a solo lawyer who concentrates her practice in intellectual property, business law and bankruptcy matters. She owns and runs Delain Law Office, PLLC as a virtual law practice with a physical presence in Schenectady New York. She is admitted as an attorney in New York and as a patent attorney before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- New York (3rd Dept.), January 2004
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York, February 2004
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, February 2004
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, January 2005
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, January 2006
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, March 2007 (inactive)
- Supreme Court of the United States, June 2016
Intellectual Property, including
- Patent searching
- Patentability assessment
- Patent application development and drafting
- Patent application prosecution before the US Patent & Trademark Office
- Patent application prosecution internationally under the Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Trademark/Trade Dress
- Trademark searching
- Trademark assessment
- Trademark application development and drafting
- Trademark application prosecution before the US Patent & Trademark Office
- Trademark application prosecution internationally under the Madrid Protocol
- Trade Secret
- Licensing and Commercialization/Monetization of Intellectual Property
- Franchising (representing franchisors and franchisees)
- Intellectual Property Audit
Business Law, including:
- start-up and formation
- contract negotiation and drafting
- Board of Directors advisement
- officer and manager advisement
- closing and winding down
- helping businesses (and families; this works on both the B2B and B2C levels) find and save money
- Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake High School (1974)
- Smith College (1978): A.B., Biological Sciences
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1981): M.S., Technical Writing
- Franklin Pierce Law Center (2003): J.D.
- Graduated within the top 20% of the class … while being the single parent to her then-pre-teenaged daughter
Before studying law, Nancy was a technical documentation specialist (writer, editor, and manager) for over 20 years, working as an independent consultant or W-2 employee with such companies as 3M, CSC, Rational Software, General Electric Company, NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), and KeyBank. She brings those skills to bear as she works with clients to document invention, protect business goodwill, and negotiate and develop contracts and deals.
Nancy is a Mensan.
Nancy has been an adjunct faculty member at the University of Phoenix, teaching technical writing and first-year writing courses online. She was also an adjunct faculty member at The Sage Colleges for one semester, teaching business law to undergraduates in a classroom setting.
Nancy is a frequent volunteer. Her activities include:
Within the legal profession:
- Frequent pro bono services through the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
- Moot Court regional competitions at the high school, college and law school levels
Within the community at large:
- Occasional singer (Mezzo/Alto) with Octavos Singers
- Occasional singer (Mezzo/Alto) with Burnt Hills Oratorio Society
- Board of Directors member: Albany Center of Economic Success, Albany, NY. Term runs 2016-2019
- Board of Directors member: Seeds for Peace, Inc., Saratoga Springs, NY. Term is indeterminate.
Honors and Awards
- 2017: Small Business Excellence Award (Small Business Administration)
- 2009: Kurt W. Clobridge Memorial Award for Pro Bono Service (The Legal Project)
Away From Work
When she’s not working or volunteering, Nancy enjoys swimming, walking, reading, writing, and playing with her many cats.
Contact us today!